LA LOCHE, Sask. – Students are to return Friday to a more-secure high school in northern Saskatchewan after two people were shot to death there last month. The Northern Lights School Division said in a statement Tuesday that an RCMP school resource officer and three security staff will be at the La Loche Community School when classes resume.
“Emergency drills will be scheduled annually,” the division added.
About 395 high school students and 468 elementary students have been out of class since the shooting on Jan. 22.
Accused in La Loche shooting appears in court as school reopens its doors
Teachers heading back to class in La Loche one month after school shooting
Systemic change after La Loche shootings could take time
A teacher and teacher’s aide were killed and seven others wounded at the school on Jan. 22. Two teenage brothers were also shot dead in a nearby home.
FULL COVERAGE: La Loche school shooting
A 17-year-old suspect charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder is next to appear in court via video on April 12 in La Loche.
Teachers returned to their classrooms on Monday and a community walk in support of the high school is to take place on Wednesday.
Students at the nearby elementary school are also to return Wednesday under the watch of three security officers.
Notes from a Feb. 17 parent-student meeting posted on the school’s 苏州美甲纹绣培训 page detail that both the high school and elementary school will be getting an “emergency notification system” with a phone in each classroom.
A professional security consulting group has toured the high school and is developing a safety plan, the notes said.
“Some discussion was had with the parents regarding a community wide emergency action plan. This will have to be revisited at a later date.”